Sunday 25 July 2010

Trip to the Museum

Today I went on a little excursion to the museum. I was first thoroughly surprised to see Jacob Epstein’s creation there, the Rock Drill. I’ve seen various bits of his work before in London and such but not this piece. Although it wasn’t the original it was fantastic to see. The shape and crisp colour was captivating. I couldn’t help think… this is what I want to look like.

The reason I actually went to the museum wasn’t to see the piece by Epstein but was in fact to do some research and to look at the Steve McCurry exhibition. Although I knew of his work I wasn’t overly familiar with it. I found it surprising though how inspiring his images really were. Some of them really got me on their content, which is unusual having seen so much documentary work. The use of vivid colour and subject matter really made his images stand out. It was a retrospective, which might be why the pictures swayed me but they seemed like an honest commentary from McCurry’s perspective. They weren’t hung up on poverty or despair, which is what I think I liked most. If you around, I definitely encourage you to see it. It’s free and definitely worth a visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails